Have panic attacks been disrupting your life? Anybody who has ever had one of these attacks knows how frightening they can be. You may even feel as if you’re dying whenever the symptoms hit you. While not much is known about the exact causes of panic attacks, it is believed that they have something to do with the body’s “fight or flight” response. For some individuals, this response is triggered even when there is nothing to be afraid of!
Even if you don’t know the exact cause, you can still learn how to cure a panic attack! You can learn how to improve your physical and mental health so that your chances of having an attack are reduced.
You may only experience a few panic attacks in your lifetime, or you might experience one every time you turn around. Everybody is different. It’s important for you to realize that these attacks won’t kill you. In fact, being afraid will only cause more attacks!
Here are some steps on how to cure a panic attack.
1. The very first thing you need to is understand that a panic attack is nothing more than an over-sensitive nervous system. Sure, if you’re facing a hungry wild animal or an armored robber, it’s understandable why you would feel a “flight or fight” sensation. However, most panic attacks occur when there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Firmly tell yourself that the physical sensations you are feeling are just your nervous system acting up. There is nothing wrong with you, or nothing going on around you.
2. Change your lifestyle! Exercise regularly. Exercise will burn off the excessive adrenaline that would otherwise cause an attack. Avoid nicotine and alcohol. A little wine here and there is okay, just as long as you don’t go overboard with it. Eat five or six small meals a day. Avoid processed foods and drinks. Work on keeping blood sugar levels stable.
3. Learn relaxation techniques to keep your heart rate and blood pressure down. You will be able to breathe easily whenever you stay relaxed. Meditating for at least twenty minutes a day will reduce the amount of anxiety and stress you feel overtime. Learning how to stay calm in any situation will keep you from having a panic attack. Just focus on your breathing whenever you feel an attack coming on. Inhale deeply and exhale slowly for a minute or two.
4. Try home remedies. There are a number of home remedies and natural treatments you can use to cure a panic attack. These include bugleweed, chamomile, borage juice, lemon balm, passionflower, lavender, and kava kava. Some of these are available in pill form. You can also drink herbal tea every day. Cultures around the world have been using plants as natural sedatives for millennia.
5. Listen to slow music or relaxing sounds whenever you’re having a bad day. Carry your mp3 player around with you and listen to relaxing audio. If your player has a picture viewer, put calming images on it and look at them whenever you’re feeling anxious or aggravated.
6. After following all of these steps, if you still start to feel a panic attack coming on, get up and move around for a few minutes. You can do a relaxation technique and move at the same time. If you ever worry that you’re going to pass out during a panic attack, then keep yourself moving! Move at a moderate pace for 2-3 minutes, focus on anything other than fear or symptoms, and breathe slowly.